Borough Park

Fire at Borough Park synagogue leaves five people hospitalized, with three in serious condition

The fire broke out in the Stavnitz rabbi’s home, above the synagogue he leads, and was caused by a cooking accident

Hatzolah vehicles in Borough Park, outside Maimonides Health Center. Credit: Aleksandr Dyskin/Shutterstock

Mar 29, 2024 3:40 PM


Five people were hospitalized on Friday morning after a fire broke out in an apartment above a Hasidic synagogue in Borough Park, ABC7NY reported

The fire began in the home of a rabbi who lives above the Stavnitz congregation’s synagogue, which the rabbi leads. The building is located on 60th Street between 18th and 19th avenues.

The fire began shortly after 6 a.m. and the New York City Fire Department responded to the call soon after, accompanied by members of Hatzolah. According to the FDNY, the fire was under control by around 7:30 a.m. The department said the fire was caused by a cooking accident.

According to the Haredi news outlet Boro Park 24, three people were trapped on a front porch and had to be rescued by fire emergency personnel. The rabbi, his wife, and their 13-year-old son were among those hospitalized, and are reported to be in serious condition.

Photos and videos published on Haredi news outlets showed the Torah scrolls being rescued from the synagogue wrapped in prayer shawls.